Ah, the holidays! One of the most fun times of the year! Christmas decor, holiday parties, ugly sweater goodness and now A NEW DOLLY PARTON MOVIE (just what I needed to continue to feed my love for her)! In honor of her Christmas movie airing today (that I have been anxiously awaiting for and assume you’re watching), I’m not only sporting a snazzy, what I hope would be Dolly approved outfit to work, I’m giving you a sneak peak into my holiday party outfit options. Even though I have a feeling I know what Dolly would pick, I’m going to let you vote on your favorite look! Whichever one gets the most votes (no matter which one I’m partial to, you know, kinda like an American election), is what I will wear to the party. Promise.
In addition to some great outfits (or what I feel are great outfits), I’ve also put together party prep list!
Enjoy! I can’t wait to see which outfit wins!
Party Prep Checklist:
- Understand the party dress code. Then, wear what you want anyway.
- Make sure that what you wear won’t get you fired.
- Look in the mirror and say “This is going to be so much fun! I look fabulous”
- Take pictures and show the internet (no matter how badly you don’t want to and no matter how worried you are at what people will say of your cheesy shots, that you had a blast with…..not that I’m talking about the pics you are about to scroll through or anything)
- Pre-game. This step is important. Do something to relax you before going into the potential sea of judgement and lame office jokes (thankfully, our office party is guaranteed to be lame free so I’m not even worried. I’m just saying you should be aware of the potential for you to encounter lameness). Have a couple of glasses of wine. But stay away from shots of tequila (until you get to the party and you see your boss throwing them back). Turn up some good music while you’re getting ready and dance like you’re a star in a Paula Abdul video.
- Make sure if you’re taking a date, that he/she isn’t lame.
- Go to the party.
- Laugh, have fun, don’t make a jerk out of yourself that could later haunt you (like getting too drunk, lashing out at people you think hate you and slamming car doors……I’ve heard of that happening)
- Assume everyone that is staring at you is only thinking how fabulous your outfit is and how they wish they would’ve dressed more fun.
- If there is music, dance. Even if you wouldn’t normally do such a thing.
That’s it. That’s all you have to do (other than stay sober enough not to stick your foot in your mouth).
Now, the outfits!
The party is a dressy casual event. Most will wear jeans and a nice top or a fun dress. When discussing the attire during our staff meeting, it was well established that they could make whatever decision they wanted, but that I would be wearing snazzy stuff no matter how casual they decided 🙂 Funny enough, nobody in the room seemed surprised by my announcement!
Sequins and Jeans (which also happens to be the outfit I am wearing to work today. It’s completely justified as explained in this previous blog. Click here to read it real quick)
I was worried this look would look too plain. Turns out, I ended up thinking it has the perfect balance of casual and snazzy!
I am in love with this skirt and how well the necklace compliments the outfit!! Guess what else? The skirt has pockets!!!!!!! Winning all around!
I don’t want to influence or rig the voting (too soon?), but I cannot deny that this one is my favorite thus far. It’s magical. Just look at how fun it is and how it fits!
Jeans/Peplum Jacket/Red Shoes: Lane Bryant
Varsity Jacket: JC Penney
Black Top: Melissa McCarthy for Lane Bryant
Necklace: Rue 21